Mount Alexander Shire Council logo
Skip Links

Driveways and nature strips

Boy running in new housing estate in McKenzie Hill near Castlemaine.

Vehicle crossovers on driveways

Property owners are required to maintain their construct and vehicle crossover, driveway, and drainage infrastructure within their driveway. Any costs to construct, repair or change a vehicle crossover, driveway and drainage infrastructure within the driveway, are also the responsibility of the property owner.

Before constructing or altering a vehicle crossover on a driveway you must obtain a minor works in a road reserve permit from Council.

Vehicle crossover – Minor Works in a Road Reserve.
Application fees are listed on the Building Forms and Fees page.
If you need more information lodge an online service request or contact us.

Nature strip beautification

Residents are obliged by law to maintain the nature strip adjoining their property to ensure accessible and safe passage for pedestrians and clear line of sight for road users.

Read more about property owners and residents obligations relating to nature strips in Local Laws and fines.

Read about planting or removing street trees or vegetation on the nature strip in Parks and Gardens.

For any concerns regarding your water, gas, sewer, phone and electricity infrastructure (above and below ground), residents must contact the utility service provider directly.

Report an issue
Report issues or hazards by lodging an online service request or contact us.

I have a problem with a street tree.
For requests related to street trees including dangerous trees, pruning, trimming, canopy lifting of trees, fallen limbs from street trees to be removed, watering trees lodge an online service request or contact us.
EXCEPTION – Please report storm damage and trees over roads as a result of wind rain etc immediately as an emergency.

Can Council clean up the leaves I have raked up on my nature strip?
No. Council does not provide a gardening service. Green waste can be deposited at Council's Waste Transfer Facility. This product is mulched and used by Council.

I have noxious weeds on my nature strip, what should I do?
In accordance with the Catchment and Land Protection Act 1994, it is the responsibility of the owner of the abutting property to control the spread and if need be, remove any noxious weeds on nature strips. If the size and position of such weeds affects either or both of the following: The flow conditions of any drainage in the area; the site distance of motorists on any roads; please contact us.

Powered by