Mount Alexander Shire Council logo
Skip Links

Dog and cat registrations

Cute puppy and kitten.

Victorian legislation requires all dogs and cats over 3 months of age to be registered with their local Council. You do not need to register other animals, such as birds, fish or rabbits.

If you do choose a dog or a cat for your pet, then it is important you de-sex, microchip and register your dog or cat.

On this page you will find:

How to register your pet

In accordance with the Domestic Animals Act 1994, all dogs and cats over the age of 3 months are required to be microchipped then registered with Council.

Dogs and cats will need to re-registered by the 10th April each year. A renewal form is sent out to owners of registered pets each year before the due date, and while Council will endeavour to get this to all Dog and Cat Owners, sometimes circumstances may mean you do not receive yours, if you do not receive one, please contact Council.

If you live in our shire and have a dog or cat, it's important that it is registered.

To register your pet please complete the Animal Registration Application Form (PDF, 802KB).

Along with the completed form you will need to provide proof of the animal microchip number.

Owners of dogs are required under the Domestic Animals Act 1994, to complete a declaration upon registration of a dog, as to the ownership or non-ownership of a “Restricted Breed Dog”

Please bring your completed application and supporting documents to the Civic Centre on the corner of Lyttleton and Lloyd streets in Castlemaine. You can also submit them via email to

If you have emailed through the documents a staff member will call you to arrange payment over the phone.

The Customer Service team at the Civic Centre can also provide you with a printed copy of an Animal Registration Application Form.
If you have any questions you can contact us on 5471 1700 between 8.30am to 5.00pm Monday to Friday.

Registration fees

The new registration fee for dogs or cats as of 10th April 2022.

Full fee - dog or cat $146.00
Pensioner concession full fee $73.00
Reduced fee - dog or cat $49.00
Pensioned concession reduced fee $24.50

See Concessions and Discounts below:

You are eligible for a reduced fee if your dog or cat is:

• Desexed
• Over 10 years old
• Kept for breeding by the proprietor of a domestic animal business conducted on registered premises, or
• Registered with an approved Canine or Feline Association.

Additional reduced fee applies to dogs that are:

• Kept for working stock, or
• Have undergone obedience training (not puppy training) which complies with the regulations.


Column A $146.00 or $73.00 Concession Column B $49.00 or $24.50 Concession
Any dogs to which a description in Column B does not apply Desexed dogs
Dogs over ten years old
Dogs kept for breeding by the proprietor of a domestic animal business conducted on registered premises
Dogs that have undergone obedience training which complies with the regulations
Dogs registered with the Victorian Canine Association or any organisation approved by Council
Dogs kept for working stock


Column A $146.00 or $73.00 Concession Column B $49.00 or $24.50 Concession
Any cats to which a description in Column B does not apply Desexed cats
Cats over ten years old
Cats kept for breeding by the proprietor of a domestic animal business conducted on registered premises
Cats registered with the Feline Control Council, the governing Council of the Cat Fancy Australia, the Democratic Cat Council Inc or any organisation approved by Council
Cats that are permanently identified in the prescribed manner i.e microchip

How to renew your pet registration or update details

Dogs and cats will need to re-registered each year by 10th April. Please note microchipping is not council registration.

Renewal forms are sent to you via mail. Details on how to pay are listed on the form. Customers can continue to make payments online, by phone, or via BPAY at

If you have already registered your pet but need to update details please lodge a service request via our website or contact our Customer Service Team on 5471 1700.

A number of payment options are available for your convenience including online, by telephone or in person. Visit our payments page to find out more or make an online payment.

Concessions and discounts

To be eligible for pensioner concession you must provide proof of a current pension card.

Eligible Pensioner Concession Cards:

- Pensioner - ( Pensioner Concession Cards) issued by the Commonwealth Government of Australia.
- Persons who are holders of a current state concession card issued by the Department of Health and Community Services.

And to:
Department of Veteran Affairs (Gold Card) Only for:

- TPI - War Pensioners.
- War Widows.

A photocopy/proof of the pension card and the signed "authority to disclose personal information form" (obtained from the Civic Centre) must accompany any claims for concession on animal registrations.


On the spot penalties can apply to any dog caught wandering at large and not under effective control throughout the State of Victoria. These fines are usually quite expensive and if your dog is unlucky enough to be impounded, add to that, the cost an impounding fee and you may be forced to pay costs in excess of $250.00 to have your dog back with you.

Failure to apply to register a dog or cat can incur an on the spot infringement of $500.00 per animal.

Powered by